Sunday, September 13, 2009

The New American Myth

J.M. here. When one looks at the philosophical mix that informs the American Mind, one finds an emergent Game Theory above all with various older constructions that are dated to the point of qualification, i.e. neo-Schumpeterian, post postmodernism. The stars are moving in the intellectual universe and where they will be when they are in conjunction is only a guess.
Still, in the midst of this vacuum and confusion, we build and we buy and we live productive material lives. What drives us? What myths ordain this heroic behavior?
For me, the metaphors of sport are significant in motivating and structuring my behaving. Football season is here and, while I don't memorize stats, I do follow the game. When I start a difficult project, I suck it up and fire out. When I face obstacles, I broken field run. I am metaphorically a player in a very large game and now there's Game Theory to back that up. Sport is the American mythology in my personal experience and it is translated in the best of American performances into Benjamin Franklin's succinct, 'Do well by doing good'.
Do well and be well.
'Chances', available on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment